Wednesday, July 11, 2018

THESIS

It's that time of year when I receive several requests from students to interview me as a resource person for their thesis. I find it hard to accommodate them all so I just end up agreeing to only one. As to who I choose really depends on how they talk to me. Those who give deadlines I immediately give a pass. Only primary work clients can give me deadlines. I'm sorry, but students asking for interviews can't. There's a primal reaction when they give deadlines like I have to accommodate them within the week, just like that, as if I'm just hanging out the house doing nothing and have nothing scheduled. It just gets my goat.

Although I've learned to say no a lot, it never gets easy. So although it's kind of bad of me, I often end up just not replying at all to most requests.

I'm sure there are former students out there who still carry a bit of a grudge against me for not responding, or for stopping to respond after they gave me deadlines. I really just have to get those things out of my mind. Work will always be my priority and everything else would just have to give way. If interviews, meet ups, etc., get in the way of work, work will always win out.

No comments:

Post a Comment