Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Captain America #1 Signing

Photo by Zara Macandili

Leinil and I agreed that it was one of the most attended signings we've ever had. It really makes me feel glad to see so many people turn up including a lot of my friends in comics, regular readers who have supported us for years and new people picking up comics for the first time! Comic Odyssey owner Sandy told me that their location is a pretty good one as it attracts a lot of new walk in customers. New fans of comics! I think all of us in the industry need that, creators and readers alike. New blood is what we need to keep comics going.

The location is one of the things that impressed me about the new store. A large in front assures mall walkers a huge and sudden view that showcases the entire store in one look. And it's quite an impressive look. Even if I wasn't a comic book fan, I'll check it out. I think I'll find myself going here every time I go to Manila. It's always nice anyway, visiting with Sandy, Rowena and the rest of the Comic Odyssey crew.

Every trip to Manila, Ilyn and I always look forward to new places to eat. We had lunch at Botejyu, just one of the many specialty Japanese restaurants popping up all over. It seems Japanese is the hot thing right now. This particular resto's specialty is Yakisoba. So I tried it. I didn't like it. So many flavors in one plate that it was overwhelming. The much expected Japanese quality of simplicity simply went out the window. Ilyn liked her Tempura though. But Tempura is always awesome.

We had dinner at Pho Hoa. I had proper Beef Pho for the first time with all the herbs and things and it was a very interesting experience. The broth had an intense flavor, probably due to the combination of mint and coriander leaves, and the beef was really really good. I really liked it.

It was nice hanging out with Rowena and Leinil during dinner. We had a chance to talk of a lot of things, mostly not comic book related. Of course we talked about Sandy a lot, because you always talk about that one person who isn't there. Sandy's in the States with comics business. I hope he remembers to pick up some of those 100 page DC giants at Walmart for me.

We got home at around 9:30pm which isn't too bad. I didn't sleep right away because I still had to approve all the tags from the signing. And there were a lot! Thanks to everyone who uploaded photos! We weren't able to take much photos ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment